Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Life on the streets of Antigua

These poor dogs have seen better days. Many dogs are well cared for but there are also a lot of strays.


These cows were trying to find something to eat. As you can see... not quite like American cattle.

Begging is pretty common along the streets of Antigua.

Trying to survive.. it breaks your heart.

These kiddos playing in the rotten fruit behind the market.
This little girl followed me down the street, asking for money..
Homeless here, like everywhere I guess.
In the market, chicken piled up sitting out on the counter.

Meat hanging out a few feet from the street.. kinda makes you a vegetarian doesn't it.
I was walking along one day when I noticed this woman and what was on her cap..
I had to do a double take and asked to take a picture... what a small world!

This just made me laugh because this elderly couple just looked so out of place.
I am not sure what they were king/queen of??
So many of the people carry such heavy bundles on their heads, it is amazing.

The typical "chicken bus" with the baskets and bikes on top.

With the rain comes a lot of dirty streets and buildings.

Scaffolding Guatemala style!?!

Some of the housing on top of each other going up the hill... more common nearer Guatemala City.

Ever wonder where your old clothes go after goodwill?? I am pretty sure some of it ends up here.
This area is way behind the market and at least a block long.

Another picture of "America's throw-aways". Everything is just piled up or hanging.. you just have to sort through it all for what you want. Most everything is $3 or less.
I have to admit I got some clothes there for Rosalia.. having outgrown most of her stuff.
In the middle (red shirt) is a man preaching.
Just wanted to give you more of a taste of life in Antigua!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hard to believe the same small baby we saw pictures of months ago is now your growing, active little girl..wow! i guess its a good thing she's gotten bigger and outgrown the clothes!

i agree, i see those pictures and it breaks my heart, the dogs and people begging especially...and the kids. man. gives us a gut check here in the US. i think they do end up with alot of our unused clothes, i saw alot of clothes even in south africa with things like nike or sports teams on it. they didn't know what it was, just that it was american. if we said hey we're from that city or area, they'd be so excited about it! And the chicken buses!! Hahaha! Those things drove me nuts, I don't know if it was the noise or the dust they kicked up or both..good memories! Maybe you and I will go back someday in the future and relive some memories..this time for not near as long!

Speaking of things coming to an end, I better sleep cause we're taking your husband and son to the airport in just a few hours to head your direction!