Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Guatemala's Independence Day

Say's "Happy Birthday Guatemala!"

Goverment building with torch burning in the center.

How these girls walk in those heels on Antigua streets - I would
be down in a second!!!!
The royalty!!!

The Guatemalan flag





I don't think the nets were to keep away the mosquitos(?)


Plenty of food vendors around the park


The bands still playing that evening!

Here are some photos of the parades and marches we saw yesterday - September 15th. I took more video than pictures but I don't know how to attach video to the blog. On Friday and all weekend we saw many runners (groups of children and adults) with torches that they carry as they run. They were running along the highway and through the towns.

I don't think I will ever hear a marching band again without thinking of our time here in Guatemala. I believe every school had a band in the parades and they started in the morning and I was still hearing them when we went to bed! Of course plenty of fireworks to top off the day also. Antigua was FULL of people.... not quite as many as for Holy week though!
Hope everyone is doing well.... it won't be long now!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You have made such great memories to take home to both of your children. That is truly a wonderful gift for all of you.

Anonymous said...

aww the white boots make me think of you and mom on drill team at hayden..heard those stories many times! it makes me tear up to realize how bittersweet it must be to be coming to the end of your time in Guat. But like others have said, you will have amazing memories and pictures to share when you are raising Josh and Rosa (my new nickname for her!) and can share a firsthand part of their heritage with them! how awesome and unique is that!! love you!