Thursday, July 24, 2008

How the day went.....

Rosalia and I got to the orphanage a little before 1pm and we waited for our notary (lawyer person who is on our paperwork.) I did not think I was allowed to go to the PGN with them, but a nanny at the orphanage came and got me and communicated that our ride was there. When I went outside I tried to introduce myself, but it was like "lets go". I got in the back seat with Rosalia and there was another nanny with a little boy from the orphanage already back there. So off we go to the PGN with (I think Susana's secretary) driving and our notary in the front laughing and talking (in very fast Spanish) and Christopher crying in the back seat hanging on to the nanny, Rosalia looking around, babbling and grabbing onto the crying boy with Linda trying not to puke!!
We get to the "almighty PGN", which for those who have gone through this process understand what I mean. Walk through the doors and through what I think was supposed to be some kind of security system and head down the stairs to the basement. At the bottom of the stairs are white plastic lawn chairs (about 12 of them) sitting facing a wall, with one door to the side. We sit down and start to wait. Rosalia, of course is past her nap time by now and doesn't want to sit.. so we walk around looking at things on the walls and practice our walking with me holding her hands. There were people walking in and out of a few offices and up and down the stairs. After about 15 minutes of Rosalia and walking around I looked over and saw Rosalia's mom sitting in a chair. I recognized her from the picture we had received. I teared up and she had teared up too. She started wiping her eyes with the shirt she was wearing and I got a Kleenex out of my purse and handed it to her. Rosalia was still kind of restless so I continued to try and keep her entertained with us sitting down and then getting up. I had brought a shopping bag of toys, sippy-cup, diapers, clothes, etc. not knowing how long it was going to be and what was going to happen. While I had Rosalia in the chair and I was kneeling down showing her a book, the birth mom was sitting behind her and watching her. I commented in my broken Spanish that Rosalia has her hair (curly). She smiled and touched her head. We waited for 50 minutes in this area, getting up to the bathroom, walking Rosalia up and down the stairs, looking at every piece of paper on the walls. At one point we sat down next to the birth mother and Rosalia reached for her styrofoam cup of water she was drinking and we laughed about her sipping on it and trying to bite through the cup. I was starting to feel a bit more relaxed, but we were both looking at our watches periodically. The birth mom had come with an older woman and a younger man, whom she seemed to be close to. FINALLY, they called "them" into the room. A nanny took Rosalia along with her "stuff" and the birth mom and the notary went in. I started tearing up again, but prayed. The woman that came with the birth mom was talking to "the secretary" and the man (looked to be in his 20's) was sitting behind me. I got up to walk and he asked me what we were going to name the baby (in his broken English). I told him Rosalia (the name her birth mom gave her) and told him we thought it was a pretty name. I started crying again and kind of excused myself for a moment. He asked where we were from and I told him. He said that he had a brother in Utah and I asked if he had been to the United States and he said yes. He pulled out a photo ID with a high school name written in english. I asked him if he was family and he said yes. (I didn't know if this was Rosalia's father or not?) When I went through the list of male relative names I know in Spanish, he said "amigo". I told him that my son and husband were in the states and got out a picture of Joshua. He then asked about picture(s) of Rosalia and I said I didn't have any with me... then remembered I had my digital camera. So I pulled it out and started showing him pictures of Rosalia and when Tony and Joshua visited. After getting through those and knowing that neither of us knew what else to say in our "spanglish" I thought I had better call Tony and give him an update. It was well after 3pm and I knew he would be anxious. I gave him the update and told him they were still in the interview room, but felt everything was going to be fine. I think the power of all your prayers covered us!! I could hear Rosalia inside making sounds and screeches like when she is playing or "talking" to someone.
After 40 minutes the door opens and out comes the birth mother with a semi-smile on her face and walks over to talk to her friend, and a minute later Rosalia comes out with the nanny. I go over and get her and you can tell she hasn't had her nap!! The birth mother and her friends/family are getting ready to leave and pass by me holding Rosalia. I say "gracias, gracias" and kind of ask her if she wants to give her a kiss, but she communicates "that's ok", and they leave.
We wait for the little boy and nanny that came with us and I call Tony to tell him it is done and Rosalia is in my arms. On the way out, the notary tells me..."todo bien" ? (all is well). We get back in the car to go back to the orphanage and on the way out see 2 other nannies that came with 2 girls waving to us with the hood up on their car. Their battery was dead so we pull over to give them a jump. I cracked the back door to let some air in, since it was getting hot. When I looked over I saw Rosalia's birth mother walking toward the car. She bent down, reached inside and gave Rosalia a kiss and I said thank you again and touched her hand. She then disappeared behind the car and left. Still seams surreal.
We got back to the orphanage and we waited to see the doctor there.... since they have seen her since birth. One of the nannies brought me a bag of a some of the toys and a blanket we had brought Rosalia and not got back when I started fostering. It was a nice surprise!! I kept a few things and left the rest for the orphanage. It was strange to see all the children still there... in May it was quieter and now it seemed booming again. When I said something to the doctor he said that another orphanage had flooded and those children came to this one.
Poor Rosalia, after having a heck of an afternoon, got to have a vaccination shot too. She is up to 19 lbs and 12 ounces. (We will break the 20 pound mark soon!!) Everything else on her chart and developmental scale looked good. Of course most 14- monthers are walking on their own, but we did not think that would be too long!!
We got back in the car to go back to Antigua and I had the worst headache I have had in a long time! (Combination of stress, hunger, thirst, excitement & lack of sleep, I am sure.) Rosalia crashed I think before I sat down.
Soooo.... what does this mean for our case now. PGN could release our case (soon or not soon) or we could be issued a "previo". That is something that they find in our file that needs to be corrected. That "something" could be very minor, like the pages not being numbered correctly or whatever they decide "needs" to be corrected. You would think after months they would know by now. We always joke that we hope whoever is looking at your file has had the right coffee that day.
Anyway, I think this was really the biggest and scariest of the hurdles. THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts and prayers and THANK GOD for getting us through it!!
We will wait for GOOD news hopefully soon.
Love you all, Linda and Rosalia in Antigua

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm just so happy that this part of the process is finally over for you.

Krystal said...

I am so happy for you :) What an amazing opportunity to meet Rosalia's first mother!

Jennifer said...

Linda -
What an amazing day that you had... I hate that you are having to go through all of this... but I think that someday you will be able to share this story with Rosalia and she will find a lot of comfort in this. You are an amazing and strong lady!!

Now - let's pray that file right out of PGN!!!

Dean said...

It sounds like an intimidating situation but you were strong and got through it. Now you are one step closer to bringing home Rosalia.

Cheryl said...

Happy to hear the news. What an amazing story but then you both are amazing for your stength and resolve in getting her home.
Prayers for speed and a quick reunion with your family.